Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Journal #2

Dialect Rules (of two African-American men having a conversation):
1) "Ayy"= Hey
2) Using "bro", "dawg", or "man" at least once in every conversation
3) Any words that have "th" will be changed to "d", such as "dem" and "dat"
4) No exclamation marks are to be used
5) Every time the word do is used, it will be said as "does"
6) Words ending in "ing" will change to "in'"
7) "Ya"= You
8) "Tuh"= To
Dialogue (Reference to page 22 in Their Eyes were Watching God):

Jamal hasn't been able to workout in days. He is starting to feel like he is fat and out of shape. He has been so busy that going to the gym hasn't  been able to fit into his schedule. You could call Jamal a person that is addicted to working out, especially lifting weights. Jamal is experiencing withdrawal and needs someone to talk with.

"Ayy dawg. What ya been up tuh Rasheed?"

Rasheed has no job and typically stays around his house watching T.V. every day. He is envious of Jamal's muscular body, but does not have the drive to get to the gym.

"Uhh ya know man, not too much, just hangin' around the house."

"I sure haven't been able to go the gym like I typically does bro. I feel like I've already gained some weight".

Rasheed was astonished. He isn't fat and he never exercises so he can't comprehend why Jamal is saying the things he is, "Jamal, dawg, ya doesn't have tuh worry. I would die to be in the shape that ya are in and to have dem muscles ya got".  

"Rasheed, man, ya are right. I doesn't need to workout as much as I does. I doesn't need to go to the gym everyday".

"Glad I coud help ya, dawg".

"See ya, bro".


No comments:

Post a Comment