Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Journal #8

1) I believe the title, Their Eyes Were Watching God  portrays this novel well. Multiple times throughout the book a reference is made to God, typically indirectly. Also, in the climax of the book, the title is stated when Tea Cake and Janie are in the hurricane. They looked up to God, possibly provide protection and safety. Thus, the title Their Eyes Were Watching God  helps develop a theme in the story of the protection that God can provide.

2) Another title that would work well is Opportunities on the Horizon . This would work because it also helps to convey a theme of Hurston's novel. Janie has more freedom as she moves from one husband to the next. By the end of the novel, Janie achieves her independence. The reader's focus would be put onto Janie more. The theme that women should not be submissive to men, but should fight for their independence is better developed.

3) I used "Flow of the Waves" as the title of my short story. I used this because the ocean waves are the most prominent motif in my story to represent the power that they possess. The women also represent going against the current in their fight to combat the barrier that men set against them. The ocean is a huge part of my short story; therefore, that's the reason why I included it in my title.

No comments:

Post a Comment